To be eligible for EndNote 20 Student pricing, you’ll need official, current proof of enrollment in one of the following:
Accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction
Accredited higher education institution that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of 2 years of full-time study
New a full license? No problem. Buy one here
Once your EndNote 20 Student license order is completed, you will receive an order confirmation with instructions for downloading EndNote 20.
Your EndNote 20 Student product key will allow you to install EndNote on both Mac and Windows computers without having to purchase separate versions. Your order confirmation will contain the installers for both Mac and Windows.
Your purchase of the EndNote desktop software also includes access to EndNote online with unlimited file storage, unlimited reference storage, and group sharing. Once you install your software, register at my.endnote.com.
What's New in EndNote 20
EndNote 20 is here!
Easily manage the process of getting your manuscript published using tools that match your paper with relevant, reputable journals, and can instantly reformat your paper in over 7,000 bibliographic styles.
EndNote 20 includes
- New interface design
- Improved PDF reading
- New workflow enhancements
- New options for detecting duplicates
New features in EndNote X9
EndNote X9 has gotten new and improved features for sharing your research and references with your colleagues, updated styles and new reference types, and a new integration with Web of Science for citation reports and manuscript matching.
New collaboration and sharing features in EndNote X9
Group sharing now gives you the ability to share your groups with colleagues right from your EndNote desktop with both read-only or read-and-write access. Let your colleagues get right to what they need; they don’t need to sift through your entire library to find what is pertinent to them.
Now you got the ability to choose whether you share a library with full Read-write permissions or the new Read-only mode. You can select the access rights at the time of sharing, or adjust it later, and different access rights can be assigned to different users. Get the peace of mind about sharing your library and don’t have to worry about colleagues making changes to your library.
Refreshed styles and new reference types
If your bibliography isn’t formatted correctly, you risk your paper getting rejected, even before it is peer-reviewed. With EndNote X9 you get updates to key styles such as Chicago, AMA, MLA and APA. Now you can select from over 7000 styles to format your bibliography and citations.
New reference types
When adding a new reference, you can now select from new references types from the list of reference options. These new reference types include discussion forum, TV episode, social media, and multimedia applications. No more guessing or making up your own reference types. Cite new types of media with confidence.
Web of science integration
Citation reports from Web of Science help you identify what impact your research is having on your area of study. As a researcher, you want to know if the references you are citing are impactful and relevant. To do this with X8 you needed to leave EndNote and go into Web of Science separately, which is time-consuming and breaks your workflow. With EndNote X9 you can generate a Web of Science citation report by selecting a group from your desktop. Leverage core Web of Science metrics by accessing Citation reports directly from the EndNote X9.
As a researcher, you need to know what journals are the best fit for your manuscripts, so that you have the best chance of acceptance. Many fields have hundreds of journal options, and it is hard to determine where to submit your paper. With EndNote X9 you can now create a list of journal suggestions for the paper you are writing. Take the guesswork out of journal submission and find the best-fit journals for your paper.
. . . . .
New features in EndNote X8
- Share your library with up to 100 other EndNote desktop users on X7.2 or later; providing teams with immediate real time access to the same set of references, attachments, notes and annotations
- Access the Activity Feed to see what your colleagues are doing in the Shared Library and when new members join
- New, modern, easy to identify icons – identical across both Mac and Windows
- Updated workflows for finding reference updates
- Every X8 library includes a built in Recently Added group which can be customized, allowing users to pick up right where they left off in the research workflow
- Configure Sync option in the Groups pane to simplify desktop activation process
- Utilize unlimited file attachment storage in your online library
- Cite While You Write for Microsoft Word 2016
Focus on what matters most: your research.
Did you know that researchers waste nearly 200,000 hours per year formatting citations? Imagine if you could have that time back to spend on your research. EndNote 20 accelerates your research process so you can focus on what truly matters – conducting and sharing groundbreaking research.
New interface design
Save even more time preparing manuscripts and managing bibliographies with an intuitive user interface.
Cite While you Write
Insert in-text citations while simultaneously creating a bibliography in Microsoft Word. Plugin is also available for Apples Pages.
7000+ Reference Styles
Build your bibliography in any of our included styles, or create your own custom style. Plus, support for new, modern types of references like blogs and online videos is included.
Improved PDF reading & editing
Read and annotate more easily with full-size PDFs, and quickly copy formatted references.
Find what you’re looking for more easily, whether the content is in an online database or already in your library.
Quickly switch between groups and references with content tabs.
Share and Collaborate
Share selected groups of references, manage team access and tack activity and changes.
EndNote Click integration (Kopernio)
Automatically export your references and full-text PDFs into EndNote.
What else can you do with EndNote?
- Search hundreds of online resources for references and PDFs.
- Access full text research articles with one click.
- Easily read, review, annotate and search PDFs in your library.
- Create rules to automatically organize references as you.
- Keep your data accurate with automatic reference and link updating.
- Quickly deduplicate the content in your library by searching on unique identifiers.
- Insert in-text citations from your library with the Cite While You Write feature in Microsoft® Word.
- Automatically build your bibliography using the library of 7,000+ reference types or your own customized style.
- Ensure your bibliography is accurate with refreshed journal and referencing styles.
- Access your research anytime, anywhere from the cloud. Move seamlessly between online and the desktop and iPad applications.
- Share some or all of your library with collaborators worldwide.
- Provide write or read-only access to your library.
- Use the new Tabs feature for easier multitasking.
- Track your teammates’ changes and view their activity in your shared library.
- Match your paper with relevant, reputable journals using Manuscript Matcher.
- Conduct large-scale literature reviews with ease and speed using the powerful analysis tools.
Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call +46 31 604 383 for more information.
System Requirements (Windows)
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86-bit or x64-bit processor
600 MB hard disk space available
Minimum 2 GB of available RAM
Word processor software (Windows)
Microsoft Word [CWYW] for Windows: 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, Office 365 (locally installed desktop version only)
Apache OpenOffice [CWYW] for Windows: 3.x, 4.x
LibreOffice [CWYW] for Windows: 4.x, 5.x, 6.x (32-bit)
Partner CWYW Integration: Wolfram Mathematica 8
An Internet connection is required to register for online access, search online databases, find full text and automatically update references.
System Requirements (Mac)
macOS 10.10 and above
Hard disk with 700 MB available
Minimum 2GB of available RAM
Word processor software (Mac)
Microsoft Word [CWYW] for macOS: 2016, 2019, Office 365 (locally installed desktop version only) Partner integration for Cite While You Write: Apple® Pages
Partner CWYW Integration: Wolfram Mathematica 8
Network compatibility and system requirements
EndNote libraries can be accessed on a network – including networks with Macintosh and Windows workstations. Multiple users on a network can access an EndNote library simultaneously in read-only mode. This allows users to search for references, cite them in their papers and create bibliographies. EndNote does not allow multiple users on a network to edit a single library at the same time.
Installation and deployment
On Windows networks, EndNote can be deployed with MSI installer technology using scripting or via Group Policy.
- Windows Server 2003 & 2003 R2
- Windows Server 2008 & 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012 & 2012 R2
EndNote Cross-Platform Compatibility
What you need:
EndNote cross-platform compatible. Following the EndNote end user license agreement, this means:
- Individuals who purchase a single user license can install EndNote on up to three computers for their personal use.
- Sharing a license with other users is not allowed under the individual license agreement.
- Those computers can be any combination of Mac and Windows machines.
- By creating or logging into a Endnote online account (under preferences > Sync), that individual can sync their library across all three computers, as well as access it through EndNote online and the iPad app.
NOTE: Your EndNote product key is required for activation. Your key is the 25-character code located either in your email confirmation (if you purchased the download) or in the inside-left panel of the CD case (if you had the product shipped).
Integration with other research solutions that extend your reach
With EndNote, you’re better connected with extra research solutions that help you showcase your work, uncover relevant sources more quickly and get your research ready for publication. We’d love to build more bridges – ask about our API.
EndNote + ResearcherID
Showcase your publication lists
Create an online profile to associate you with your scholarly work, assuring an accurate record of output and attribution. This forms a gateway for colleagues to quickly locate your published work and to identify you as a potential collaborator.
EndNote + Web of Science
Get to the most relevant research, faster
By design, you can navigate easily between EndNote and Web of Science while collecting research. When you sync your EndNote library, your Web of Science references will automatically display their Times Cited Count and a link to Related Records (Web of Science subscription required).
Related Records uses the citation linking magic in Web of Science to find references that share citations with yours, spotting the truly relevant research much faster than a typical topic or author search.
EndNote + ScholarOne
Submit manuscripts more simply and accurately
Used by some of the most prestigious commercial publishers, societies, associations, and university presses in the world, ScholarOne Manuscripts helps publishers and authors simplify the manuscript submission process. A manuscript written with EndNote templates and Cite While You Write is optimized for submission through ScholarOne.
EndNote + Westlaw UK
Search it, see it, cite it
Save journal citations from Westlaw UK directly to EndNote. Then simply open the EndNote application in Microsoft®Word to insert your Westlaw UK citations
Export references from hundreds of online databases
We work with hundreds of online databases so that you can send references directly into your EndNote library with a simple click
EndNote API for software developers
Developers: Add custom functionality and connectivity to EndNote
- Build plug-ins that add new functionality.
- Script or batch existing capabilities and features.
- Create tools that extend the GUI.
- Provide better integration with third-party tools and products.
- Directly access records and data in EndNote Libraries (databases).
- Directly import or export into or out of EndNote.
- Leverage the power of the EndNote formatting engine (formatter).
The Software Development Kit is intended for technical developers who know object-oriented programming languages, particularly C and C++.
Users should also be familiar with the tools needed to produce compiled application code or DLLs. The API is available for both the Macintosh and Windows operating systems and behaves identically on each, unless otherwise specified. Individual customers and third-party partners are encouraged to use the EndNote API to develop tools that closely interact with EndNote.
Any party developing a component or tool that uses the EndNote API for commercial or wide-spread use must also sign a license agreement with Thomson Reuters to legally employ the API, Software Development Kit and any associated tools, documentation, or code.